The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is the principal authority in Liberia responsible for the management of the environment; coordinates, monitors, supervises and consults with relevant stakeholders on all activities in the protection of the environment and sustainable use of natural resources.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) with support from the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) through the Energy and Environment Unit intends to develop 2 Counties/Districts Environmental Action Plans and Support implementation in Lofa, and Grand Gedeh Counties.
With the plethora of challenges, the UNDP through the Energy and Environment (E&E) program seeks to support the Government’s efforts in achieving diversified and inclusive economic growth through investments in sustainable and environmentally friendly agriculture, food security, job creation and improved resilience to climate change and natural disasters. UNDP also works to empower the population and build a resilient nation. It supports the government to develop and implement interventions aimed at improving the lives of the people, including women, youth and PWDs.
It is in this regard that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of Liberia through its Energy & Environment Unit of the EPA, in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme requests the services of a Firm/CSO to work in collaboration with the EPA to develop a comprehensive County and District Environmental Action plans for Lofa and Grand Gedeh Counties (2 counties plans and 2 districts in each county). The Environmental Action Plans will present the opportunity to halt environmental degradation, restore degraded ecosystems and promote sustainable management of natural resources.
Contract and Reporting Requirements
The Consultant/Firm will be hired against a performance-based contract for Three (3) Months. He/she will report to the Coordinator of the EPA-UNDP Energy & Environment Program. The Consultant shall submit the reports summarized below, for the respective period(s). All documents/reports should be issued in English, submitted in both hard and electronic copies.
- Progress Reports: The Consultant shall prepare concise inception and draft reports with the relevant information on progress, highlighting achievements, emerging issues that need to be clarified with the client and recommendations.
- Final Report: Before the end of the assignment: The Consultant shall submit a final report detailing all the activities undertaken. The report should outline achievements and issues and lessons learnt.
Scope of Work and Tasks
The Consultant will have the following responsibilities to develop 2 Counties and 2 Districts in each county Environmental Action Plans and Support implementation in Lofa, and Grand Gedeh Counties.
- To realize the above objectives, the consultant shall critically verify the scope of services indicated and may extend, reduce or amend those services wherever such is deemed necessary according to his/her own professional judgment, knowledge and experience.
- To fill the growing need for a well prepared, knowledgeable, scientifically informed environmental action plans for the 2 counties and 2 districts in each county.
- To build and encourage mutually beneficial collaborations at local, and national levels.
- Any suggested amendments to the ToR should be clearly documented within the Consultant’s Submission, including accompanying justification for the proposed amendments, and must be approved by the contracting party, EPA.
- Review of available documents, preparation of inception report and virtual kick-off meeting.
- Development of the stakeholder analysis and stakeholder engagement plan
- Field visit(s) and engagement with stakeholders.
- Development of the Environmental Action Plan for 2 counties and 2 districts in each county
- Development of detailed scope and guidance on content and proposed methodologies.