REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR PROVISION OF INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANCY SERVICES
LIBERIA FOREST SECTOR PROJECT
PROJECT ID: P154114
GRANT ID: TFA2427
(Procurement Ref. No: EPA/LFSP/CONS/07)
This request for expressions of interest follows the General procurement Notice for this project that appeared in Development Business No. WB452-01/17 of January 31, 2017.
The Government of Liberia through the Forestry Development Authority (Implementing Agency) has received a grant from the International Development Association (IDA) acting as administrator of the Liberia Single Donor Forest Landscape Trust Fund (financed by the Government of Norway) in the amount of US$36.7 million towards the cost of the Liberia Forest Sector Project, and the Environmental Protection Agency (Project Implementing Entity) intends to apply part of the proceeds of this Grant to eligible payments under an individual consultancy contract for an Environmental Safeguards Coordinator.
- OBJECTIVE AND SCOPE OF SERVICES
The objective of the assignment is to recruit a national consultant to supervise the implementation of activities enshrined in the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) for the LFSP in order to ensure project compliance with the World Bank’s Operational Policies on safeguards and Liberian environmental law and regulations.
The Environmental Safeguards Coordinator will work with the Forestry Development Authority (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to support the achievement of the overall objective of LFSP which is to improve forest management and governance, and increase the sharing of benefits accrued through forest use in order to allow for the possibility of future investments linked to a carbon sequestration results based payments. In liaison with the Social Safeguards Specialist, he/she will coordinate environmental safeguards compliance issues to ensure that they are incorporated into all project documents including bids and specification documents for all sub-project types.
The Environmental Safeguards Coordinator will play a coordinating function between the Government and various forest related programme stakeholders in the country. He/She shall ensure that various interventions implemented under the LFSP comply with the World Bank’s operational policies and the environmental and social policies, laws and regulations governing the Republic of Liberia. Determining, to what extent the environmental and social safeguard policies of Liberia and the World Bank are followed during implementation of project activities. The position has thus a multifaceted institutional setting. The Environmental Safeguards Coordinator will be based and work in the EPA in Monrovia.
This assignment is for twenty-four (24) months with the possibility of renewal based on satisfactory performance.
- The Environmental Protection Agency now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the required consulting services for the Liberia Forest Sector Project. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualification and experience to perform the Services by submitting a cover letter and an updated CV. See qualification and experience criteria below:
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum qualification is a Master’s Degree or PhD in Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Natural Sciences, Environmental Economics, Natural Resources Policy or a Social or International Development-related discipline;
- A minimum of 6 years of professional experience in natural resources management, or environmental assessment;
- Experience in stakeholder engagement and public consultations in Liberia;
- Proven ability to plan, organize and effectively implement activities;
- Experience in management and supervision of consultants;
- Good written and communication skills, including fluency in English;
- Experience in dialogue processes between Government and civil society and on a consensus building is desirable;
- Knowledge and experience of the World Bank’s environmental and social safeguards policies and Liberian environmental legislations is desirable.
- GENERAL INFORMATION
- Consultants will be on a 3-month probation period and will complete assignment based on satisfactory performance.
- The Environmental Protection Agency is a gender sensitive institution. Females are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the selection process.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s
Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011 revised July 2014 (“Consultant Guidelines”).
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 0900 to 1600 hours GMT.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, by mail or by e-mail) by 16:00 GMT on Thursday, April 27, 2017. Envelopes or subject of emails must be marked “Expression of Interest for Environmental Safeguards Coordinator”.
Environmental Protection Agency
4th Street, Sinkor
P.O. Box 4024
1000 Monrovia, 10 Liberia
Attention: Z. Elijah Whapoe, LFSP Focal Point